Tuesday 24 March 2009

Long Overdue Update

It's been a while since the last time I wrote. It's been about 4 months since I started at Jericho Ltd and the job now takes up a majority of my time. Everything from producing deliverability reports for the clients to making sure our network is secure is handled by myself. I find myself often looking at the huge list of things to do and getting demotivated. It would take another 4 months just to get everything off the list of things to do.

On a brighter note, I went to a 'Agile Professionals' conference (agile as in the methodology) today. The guy (Jeff Smith from Suncorp) didn't have a bad thing to say about open source which was good. He also talked about the necessary attitudes and philosophies that you should have when trying to create teams (people centric) and where the innovation in a company should come from (bottom up). These were all very good points, it was a shame that only myself and Clint showed up to the conference, it would have been nice to have a few more people from work there.

I've also been reading. Finished reading Fred Brooks legendary book 'The Mythical Man Month' and the first two books in John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. The mythical man month is a real gem and deserves its reputation as a great book. I don't think I've ever seen so many truisms about software expressed so eloquently. John Scalzi's work is good as well, although the claims on the cover of the book about him being Heinlein's equal are exaggerations.

No comments: