Saturday 20 June 2009

Setting up a VPS - Part 3 - Ruby on Rails

One of the things I wanted to do with this VPS was to have a go at getting a Ruby on Rails environment going and seeing what the hype was all about. This turned out to be more trouble than I originally thought. The problem was that after following the RoR install guide found here, the machine kept on crashing whenever I got to the part about updating RubyGems. i.e.

sudo gem update --system

This was finally traced to the fact that the VPS only had 128MB of memory and no swap space. After adding another 128MB of memory and dedicating 512MB of swap space, the update finished fine and I had a Rails environment. The whole issue did take a while though, mostly because I was busy at work and often couldn't reply to HostingDirect straight away.

No comments: